IdeaMonk

thoughts, ideas, code and other things...

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Curtain - Helen Spalding

9 months ago, I was looking for this desperately... a poem which grabbed some attention in our school days. I guess it was Naheed ma'am who took it for us. And I can't stop admiring the amount of energy she put into teaching good great English to our class. Well, that extends to all the English teachers I've been taught by. Sincere, Dynamic, Innovative, Liberal, Confident .... the list goes one. That's the list of words that comes to my mind as I recall them.
Anyways, back to 9 months ago... I was looking for it... to quench the uneasiness of life. Wished if I could got through it once more, just for that day, and help myself a little bit (I know it sounds crazy... but sh*t happens in life...).
Today, I just happened to find it. Looked for "Laced finders loosen" once again on google. Nope, that didn't work... Landed to a cbse, functional english sample paper that helped me refine the search into "Incredulously the laced fingers" and thanks to Spandan Pandya's blog, here it is -
Goodbye.

Incredulously the laced fingers loosen,
Slowly sensation by sensation, from their warm interchange,
And stiffen like frosted flowers in the November garden.

Already division piles emphasis like bullets;
Already the one dark air is separate and strange.

Goodbye.

There is no touch now. The wave has broken
That for a moment charged the desolate sea.
There is a word or two left to be spoken
--yet who would hear it? When so swiftly distance
Out measures time, engulfs identity?

Already like the dreamer startled from sleep
And the vivid image lost even in the waking,
There is no taste now for the shrunken sense to keep,
And these, the dreamer’s eyes, are not alive to weep,
And this, the clinic heart, the dreamer’s is not breaking.

Is it so easy then? Goodbye no more then this
Quiet disaster? And is there a cause for sorrow
That in this small white murder of one kiss
Are born two ghosts, two Hamlets, two soliloquies
Two worlds apart, tomorrow?
-by Helen Spalding

Back then, we wondered, how disastrous 'this quiet disaster' would be. We wondered whether it would be two ghosts, or two hamlets born... would they ever meet again. I wonder no longer :) for life has shown me it isn't a disaster after all. Though, ghosts and Hamlets never came up, but two soliloquies were surely born. Both became FREE, the only problem is that the blogger realized this after 9 months. The other soliloquy hardly comes to his mind nowadays. What comes up in mind is - "Thank you! for setting me free, back to my original, purposeful self". With your help I could've never gone out of those days of impractical daydreams and ignorance. What I learnt from you is that we're individuals first, other things aren't as important as the self. Thanks !
.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At May 10, 2009 at 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hav bin looking fr d lines of this poem fr some time now...its one of those things u learn in school which cum breezing to ur mind wen similar things happen to u... today i realised wat the lines mean but i agree wid u,we r individuals first!

 
At August 31, 2009 at 12:11 AM , Blogger spandy said...

I am glad u found something u wanted from my blog.....by the way ...i have changed the blog due to soem reasons..and now it is www.spandyspeaking.blogspot.com


I am so glad that my blog was a help to someone stay in touch adios!

 
At August 31, 2009 at 1:44 AM , Blogger l0nwlf said...

Fuck you d00d ... generally ur posts are good ..but after quite a some time you wrote a piece of SHIT :P

 
At August 31, 2009 at 2:05 AM , Blogger IdeaMonk said...

I know its looks like a piece of shit, but can't remove it, would love to read it sometime again. :/ i shall label it as a FAIL post :)

 
At November 21, 2009 at 9:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

 
At November 21, 2009 at 11:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read this post. Thank author for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

 
At January 23, 2010 at 3:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such articles. I love to read stories like this. BTW add some pics :)

 
At March 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Confessions of a hopeless romantic said...

Its so stupid at times that the words spoken by some stranger completely becomes the story of your life...In my case the poet as well as the blogger both managed to do that..thank you..

 
At March 14, 2010 at 10:07 AM , Blogger garima said...

i love this poem and remember readin it in high school.it always strikes a deep chord of melancholy,thank you so much for putting it up on the net :)

 
At May 15, 2011 at 9:37 PM , Anonymous college board said...

Having read this material, I have learned for myself a lot of the new. Thanks

 
At February 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM , Blogger zahabiya nalwalla said...

I am studying this poem now. And Its so beautiful, it breaks my heart. :) :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home