IdeaMonk

thoughts, ideas, code and other things...

Sunday, March 08, 2009

The GW of GW-BASIC

After a wait of 9 years, I came to know what GW stands for, in GW-BASIC (my first programming language). Some teacher had heard a rumour in Modern School, Lucknow that GW stands for "GeeeWheee's". I used to wonder who could've been named GeeeWeee by his parents. Little did I know about internet then in the year 2000, nor did I search for it in the last 9 years.
I just happened to drop at one of these links at HN - http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctech/2005-April/042999.html
GW actually stands for its creator - Gregory Whitten, and also for Gee-Whiz and not some GeeeWeee. Woah! words do change when they travel across continents!
Now Gregory Whitten is indeed someone whom you would've called God back then! Seriously go ahead and read why so...
GW @ Wikipedia
GW @ RiskWaters
.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home